Sierra and I recently hosted a read-a-thon on Christian YA Readers. While I did a lot of reading during the read-a-thon, I know I could have read more. I don’t really consider it a “fail” as I didn’t have a personal goal, and I did read a decent amount. I just would not call it a really good read-a-thon for me personally.
Here are the steps I took in “failing” this read-a-thon. It’s a cautionary tale really. The steps not to take when hosting or participating in a read-a-thon.
- Sign up for a Tumblr account
I waited until school was out before getting one, which was a good idea. It’s basically a black hole.* Once you enter, you will not return.
- Watch Captain America: Civil War only days before the start of the read-a-thon
It’s awesome. If you have not seen it – stop everything you are doing and go watch it!
- Download Tumblr app on phone
Did I mention it was a black hole? Once it is on your phone, you will do nothing else on your phone.
- Follow all the blogs posting Captain America: Civil War posts and follow the #cacw tag
Gifs, scene analysis, fangirling
- Look up cast interviews on Youtube
Because the Captain America cast is awesome.
- Realize how little you have been reading
Sad feelings. I have been neglecting my books! How could I?
- Look longingly at unread books
because I really do want to read them
- Look back at Tumblr dash
But how could I abandon these awesome gifs and character analyses?
- Look at the recommended videos on Youtube
Which by now are all Captain America cast interviews – all the unwatched ones
- Spend the rest of the day looking up cast interviews and scene analyses and staring and gorgeous gifs
Ways to prevent this from happening to you:
- Do not watch Captain America: Civil War right before a read-a-thon
But do totally watch it. Right now. Seriously. It is amazing.
Turn off all devices and just read
This might be too extreme for some people**
* The fandom side of Tumblr is basically fandoms and social justice movements times 500. Plus shipping of every character pairing ever, even if it does not make sense. Stay way from that blogs that do not make sense.
**By some people I mean me.
Have you participated in any read-a-thons? How did it go?
Have you seen Captain America: Civil War? Wasn’t it amazing?!